Maureen is an industry leader in feng shui and incorporates principles of bau biology, environmental psychology and biophilic design into her work. This unique focus allows her to provide clients the most comprehensive assessment and most effective solutions to further their professional and personal goals. With a BBA and 20 plus years business experience, Maureen is able to help her client improve bottom-line profitability by enhancing staff and client experience in their spaces.
- We are significantly impacted by our environments
- By integrating natural and conscious design to our spaces we reduce stress and enhance well-being
- Management and employee well-being leads to increased productivity, efficiency, and job satisfaction
- Most importantly, clients and potential customers are often influenced by these enhancements which, in turn, increases your chance of business success
Biophilic design is a fairly recent movement that acknowledges the importance of incorporating nature into the built environment for both health, well-being and productivity. Maureen incorporates the principles of biophilic design, as part of a "well-balanced" conceptual design plan for her clients. These principles can be summed up simply: nature in the space (incorporating the real elements of the natural world), nature analogues (symbols and the use of natural materials), and nature of the space (mimicking the spatial concepts of the natural world).
Bau biology, a design philosophy based in Germany, is a movement to create spaces that are not only earth-friendly but human-friendly. Bau biology encourages the use of non-toxic materials, limiting exposure to electromagnetic fields (both natural and man made), improved air quality, indoor humidity levels and ionization. Maureen has a certification as a Bau Biology Practitioner (BBP). For more information check out the Institute of Bau Biology website.
An indigenous philosophy for design and life, feng shui incorporates much of what designers focus on for forward-thinking projects. Feng shui embraces the philosophy "Living in harmony with the earth will bring good fortune." Nothing is better than that! Maureen has a feng shui certification and is a Red Ribbon professional member of the International Feng Shui Guild. She is also a long-term board member and a national leader in the discipline.
Maureen has co-developed and is teaching the Universal Feng Shui Practitioner Training Program at the Metropolitan Institute of Design. The first Feng Shui Certificate Program to be licensed by NY State, this 9-month program includes top experts in the field of Feng Shui and related disciplines. Maureen runs workshops and lectures all over the NY metro area.
Maureen has appeared on News12 Long Island, dozens of radio shows, was a speaker at the Interior Design Society's National Conference in Las Vegas, at the NY State Outdoor Educator's Conference, and has lectured at local business and Chamber of Commerce meetings. She has spoken to diverse audiences as realtors, designers, corporate executives, educators, biologists, small business owners and homeowners.
* A traditional healthcare office in Connecticut hired Maureen to help with renovation plans and to partner with the project designer and builder. Her recommendations greatly improved the energy flow of the much-beleaguered floor plan and incorporation of the 5 natural elements increased the calming atmosphere that the client set out for.
* A NYC advertising agency hired an architecture design firm when renovating their new office space consisting of 32,000 sq ft. Maureen provided Feng Shui recommendations to improve the energy flow, the balance of colors to adjust a "too yang" environment and incorporate a mix of textures into the space.
* A Long Island spa and salon wanted to renovate their salon and "go green." Maureen provided floor plan recommendations, sourced eco-friendly renovation materials, and helped them re-brand and market their new salon.
* A NYC online wine retailer hired Maureen to improve the energy flow in a long, narrow office space. The recommendation included the use of objects and mirrors, colors, and incorporated the five Chinese elements.
International Feng Shui Guild – Board member and co-Chair of the Green Living & Design Committee
Green America – member and approved business
NY State Outdoor Educator's Assocation – member and lecturer
Sweetbriar Nature Center – Community Board member and volunteer
Port Jefferson Chamber of Commerce – member; member of PJ Greenfest Committee (2009-2011)